Monday, October 26, 2009

Hierarchy & Bribery

It wasn't until recently that I noticed there was a hierarchy when it came to grandchildren. On a recent visit to see my darling Bachie(my 91 year old grandmother)a competition of sorts ensued. I went to visit her along with my mom and two sisters. You could see the three of us look quickly around her apartment to see how many pictures of each of us were displayed. I sat quietly...my children were represented, but I didn't see one picture of myself. My oldest sister had a few of pictures but my other sister's representation was over the top. Everywhere you looked, she smiled down at you, almost pitiful, because you didn't hold the same title. My Bachie explained the reasoning behind all of this.
1) She had spent the most time with my oldest sister, Cameron, therefore she holds a special place in her heart. She is not truly represented in "numbers" because she is not married with children. She used to receive the most phone calls from Cameron, but not anymore. To this, my sister promptly pulled out her phone and began to list off call dates..."what year", my Bachie exclaimed.
2) Allison's "shrine" is located all over the apartment. Above the tv, in her bedroom, kitchen...you name it, Ali is there. She hold the most honorable place of all, too. Her baby picture, wedding pictures, and locks of hair sit behind the locked glass of the curio cabinet. Gag!


3) When it was brought to Bachie's attention that there were very few pictures of me, she exclaimed that indeed, she had pictures of me up in a very special place. She said to look in the bathroom!e(How fitting.) So we all ran into the bathroom. Unable to locate them, she said to open up the cabinet. There I was, proudly displayed among a light bulb, cardboard trash, and other miscellaneous toiletries.


It was at that moment I realized that I would never make it to the "Curio Hall Of Fame". I didn't have enough calls logged to her nor did I have beautiful locks of hair to give. Naming my daughter after her, also wouldn't cut it. I wonder where my pictures will be displayed on my next visit. This is after I send her some delicious coconut macaroons...bribery always works, right?

3 comments:

Jen L. said...

That is so cute! My mother in law says the same thing about her grandchildren (about 26 grands & almost 7 great grands) that she loves them all, but some just have a special place in her heart! My oldest Sarah being one of them :)

She recalls holding her for the first time & locking eyes with her - something she will never forget, she says.

Send the macaroons & maybe you will just move from the bathroom cabinet to a place where everyone will see you!

LL said...

HILARIOUS!!!

Unknown said...

I laughed so hard reading this. This has been an issue w/my grandmother for years. She has her favorite grandson, that is displayed throughout the house. Of course she denies it. So, now we have to give her pictures in frames that she'll keep out to be displayed. A few years ago, she gave us all photo albums w/all of our pictures in them. She said she didn't want them anymore, she thought we would want them. We were all a little offended, I guess she doesn't want to look at us anymore!

Related Posts with Thumbnails