
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...alarm goes off, coffee pot on, kids on bus, bible study, meetings, pay bills, make dinner, kids bed, read, lights out....seven hours later, start it all over again. Do you ever feel like you could get lost in the monotony of everyday life? I certainly do. I remember feeling such anxiety and panic when the kids were newborns because every single day was the same. I felt as if I never would be able to get off the "hamster wheel" of life. It even continues today...searching for something to break up the routine. Yet, when that event occurs, we often hide once again in our cocoon praying that the comfort of routine would return.
The same could be said for my faith. I was raised in a Christian home, attending church four times a week. I could tell you the books of the Bible when I was the same age of Sis Margaret and could map out Paul's journey if given the chance. I prayed to receive Christ when I was 15 and was baptized. I had the spark but as most of us know when we approach new chapters in our lives, we tend to push the most important thing to the bottom of the list. Fast forward fifteen years later and I was right in the middle of such personal turmoil, I didn't know up from down. I wasn't receptive to anyone, being selfish with myself and pushing all of those I loved and loved me away. Many close to me didn't and still don't know any of this was occurring. I talk of this time in my life very carefully. Returning there can take my emotions on a wild ride. I have worked so hard to put those things aside that now looking back, it is as if I am watching someone elses life happen. Often I wake and ask myself if days like that really occurred. They did occur and looking back I know they happened for a reason.
I sat at the intersection of the local highway and my neighborhood entrance literally pounding the steering wheel screaming to God to "do something"....anything. I had tried to be in control of my life and I was going nowhere but down. It was at that moment that I turned it all over to God. I finally realized that I didn't have to carry all of this baggage around anymore. I had given it to God. The fire inside had been sparked....the Holy Spirit began working in my life. I am now "on fire" for God. Many people question or inquire about the change...the answer is simple...GOD. He saved me, my relationships, my home, my spirituality, my life.
I say all of this because I would bet that there are many out there reading this post who are "going through the motions" when it comes to your faith. You go to church, maybe you pray, hmmmm sing a few hymns to your kiddos. That is all fine and dandy, but let me tell you that when you open your heart and actually welcome Christ into your life to have a personal relationship, your entire life will change. I never want to go back to "going through the motions". My Lord and Savior deserves so much more than that. I will praise Him all the days of my life.
This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"
No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life
'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"
take me all the way (take me all the way)
take me all the way ('cause I don't wanna go through the motions)
take me all the way (I know I'm finally feeling something real)
take me all the way
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"
I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"
take me all the way (take me all the way)
take me all the way (I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go)
take me all the way (through the motions)
take me all the way
I don't wanna go through the motions
-Matthew West "Motions"
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 1:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Eden, it's so great to see you talk so openly about your faith and encouraging others on your blog. I, too, know that it is through Him that I have the strength to go on sometimes and am so grateful for that knowledge! I don't know how people make it in this world without it. I can only pray that we are teaching our children well enough that as they get older and times get tough, that they, too, will hold fast to their knowledge of God and Jesus Christ to get them through.
Such a good reminder as it gets easy to go through the motions of a routine life!
Post a Comment