Wednesday, August 5, 2009

When In Rome...


Lately I have been thinking about many of our family adventures. I laugh when I recall our family holiday in Italy. One that didn't begin as smoothly as we had expected, but ended being a wonderful time spent with my parents and siblings.

Let me take you back in time...

Date: September 11, 2005
Location: Italy
Participants: Mom & Dad, my two sisters and my brother
Reason: Reaping the benefit of living like no one else so we could live like no one else

It all began simple enough. The spouses and babysitters were in place for my sister and I. Living in Charlotte at the time, we flew to Atlanta to meet my parents and brother flying in from Indy and my other sister in from Orlando. We had abandoned all of the out-laws to enjoy some time together...just the five of us. The Zentz Five.

We all met in Atlanta and were a little nervous being the anniversary of 9/11. My mother had listened to countless hours on tape on meditation and overcoming your fear of flying. She was a tad bit medicated as she stepped on board the plane. We knew that if my mom was going to make the flight, we all had to. We travelled with our dear family friend Manuela who was born and raised in Italy, and was part of the cabin crew for that flight. We were fortunate enough(well, all of us but my brother and I) to be seated in business class. The two of us were seated in the next row beyond "the curtain". As we prepared for take off, the attendant noticed that the seat next to my dad was available. I didn't hesitate for a second, stumbling with my carry on to make myself comfy next to my dad.

My dad and I talked throughout the first two hours of the flight, spending time watching the one-board GPS tracking of the plane. We noticed the attendants, followed by one of the co-pilots pass by us several times. It turned out my brother and his fellow seatmates heard a knocking coming from the floor below. When a knock was done in a pattern, the knock from below repeated the pattern. Back up front, we noticed on the GPS that the plane had made a sudden turn, traveling back towards the US. The captain came on and told us that we were going to have to make an emergency landing for undisclosed reasons in Jacksonville, Florida. Two hours since take-off we suddenly found ourselves in a little state of panic. We approached the airport in Jacksonville only to be met by emergency vehicles, police vehicles, the SWAT team, several dogs and lots of ammunition. We were all taken off the plane, several questioned by the SWAT team and Homeland Security, and all huddled into a emptied area of the airport.
Then we sat...and waited
and waited
and waited.
Many decided not to finish the flight due to the "undisclosed" reason for our return. We all looked to our mom...I mean if she was brave enough to get back on the plane after all of that, who was I to bail on the family. Hours later we were allowed back on the plane and we set out on our trip. They apologized for the delay, wanting to be "better safe than sorry" yet failed to tell us the main reason for the return. When I called The Hubby from my cell phone, he panicked. He saw my number come up on caller ID and immediately thought the worst. He still talks of that moment with anxiety in his voice.
Thanks to our friend, Manuela, we were able to find out that here had been a
stow-away in the landing gear of the jet. He was able to "knock" loud enough to alert us, but due to the air temp and pressure, probably met his demise somewhere over the Atlantic as we landed back in Florida. So, despite the drama that always seems to follow the Zentz family, we regrouped and spent time in Venice, Florence and Rome. Seeing all the sights and eating the most delicious and flavorful food one could imagine.

I remember while at The Vatican, we entered St Peters. I was blown away by its immense presence. Having studied the art of Italy extensively in college, I was in heaven actually seeing it in person. I remember praying...praying at that time that I would once again become pregnant. An odd request for some, but my prayers were answered when I returned home to find out we were indeed expecting.(the gelato man was nice, but not that nice. sis margaret is 100% The Hubby). As I took the challenge to climb to the top of the duomo of St. Peters(a hefty feat for some), I stood overlooking the city of Rome. Nothing could be wrong in the world at that moment.
It was beautiful,
wonderful,
majestic,
awe inspiring,
my Lord's creation.

If only...if only I had known that the happenings of the past two months had already been planned. Would I have prayed any different? Would I have looked at my mom and dad with a different set of eyes as I watched them talk while dining in St. Mark's Square? Would we have sat a little longer at the cafe drinking our daily Cafe Americano? Would we have gotten upset when Cameron got us lost walking down the winding streets of Venice? Would I have left my LIVESTRONG bracelet on the altar of St. Peter's in honor of my dad? Would we have laughed a little more as we struggled with our suitcases on the LONG trek to our hotel in Milan?

Would we have just seized and totally surrendered to every single moment of that trip as if it was our last? How I wish we had.

Someday...and I truly mean this...someday, we will all get on a plane again and do it all over again. Not differently, just again...wherein making so many more memories together. Only my prayer at St. Peter's will be different. This time it would be for more time...more time with my Dad.

1 comments:

ANN LADEMANN said...

EDEN:

Make some memories now with him and all the Zents NOW...It doesn't have to be Italy it can be Italy, just buy some Ragu and a box of Ronzoni and go for it!!

I use my bottle opener from the Vatican every week and get a silly smirk on my face like I'm doing something wrong when I use it,it always gives me the fond memories of the stories you told me!!

So enjoy and make more, you Zentz and Perrys are good at that!!!

LOVE AML

Related Posts with Thumbnails