Thursday, July 30, 2009

Inventions


The dinner conversation started out normal. Well, normal for us anyways. Some would find our family dinner rituals to be uncouth. While I would like for our table to resemble a Norman Rockwell painting, it couldn't be any further from the truth. The boys do take turns setting the table, I prepare something that didn't walk the face of the Earth and we give thanks(usually in the form of a song)for our food. That's when all things normal cease to exist. The conversation takes a turn fairly early in the meal. Oftentimes, leading one to believe my children we born in a barn. Two of them were born in Kentucky...does that count? I digress.

It was during a rare moment of silence when JWP spoke up. "I don't think we ever need to invent anything else because I feel pretty good about my life." While others might find this to be an odd observation from a child, you have to know JWP. We then had a surprisingly intelligent conversation about this topic. It was then JWP took back his thought, "well, I guess it would be cool if they could invent something to cure cancer". My heart skipped a beat. The thoughts began to flood my mind. I had put a lot of the past two months on the shelf to be dealt with at a later time. I have wondered myself if they would ever come up with a cure. I mean certainly the victims of this horrific disease would be happy, but what about the pharmaceutical companies that make millions from their illness...I think not. It was then that our dear CEP spoke up and said, "well, if they did find a cure, maybe they could also find a cure for men with hairy stomachs". I looked over at The Hubby and in that moment we couldn't have been any more proud of our boy!!

We are trying to keep it light around here in the midst of the sadness. How fortunate we are to have the minds of little ones to distract us from all the chaos. I can keep the past few months on the shelf a little longer and instead try to replicate being the "Modern Day" Norman Rockwell family!

2 comments:

Jen Guthrie said...

Are you sure CEP said stomachs and not backs? he was the first to notice his buddy Jake and the abnormal carpet on his back...which we are pleased to say was just baby fur and has disappeared...please update your second born on that progress. We love you guys and I'd love to sit at your dinner table (vegan or not) and hear your conversing!

ANN LADEMANN said...

E:

You should be happy the conversation wasn't about gas issues...

When I get to Ohio or Indy it will not be a Vegan meal I'm not as Kind as Jen G.!

love ya!
Mooresville Buddy!

P.S. Read Cam's Facebook now she's becoming an Olympian we all need to support her and design Cameron shirts!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails