Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Days


Just four weeks ago, my dad sat across from me on my deck as we read USA Today and drank a big glass if ice tea together. We power washed the deck and pulled out the roots of four large bushes that covered the corner of the yard. We worked really hard that day. I think I made him proud as I forgot all of my "girlie" tendencies while cutting down branches and digging holes. He chuckled as I tried to use the trimmer to sculpt the bushes to be symmetrical. As always, there was a comment about how I was at least putting my art degree to good use. Symmetry in landscaping is vital!

Just four weeks ago, he had abdominal pain and became jaundice.

Just three weeks ago, he found out that he needed to have his gall bladder removed.

Just two weeks ago, he had surgery to remove his gall bladder and kidney stones.

Just one week ago, he prepared to be transferred after surgery to a different hospital due to complications.

Just five days ago he was with all of his kids and grandkids saying his goodbyes if he didn't make it out of surgery to remove a tumor they found on his pancreas.

Just four days ago, he awoke from surgery only to be told they couldn't remove the tumor due to its location.

Just two days ago, my father learned he had inoperable pancreatic cancer.

Just one day ago, my dad learned that he was going die.

Today, I watched the sweetest man I have ever known, come to terms that he has a timeline. We all will eventually die, but not all of us know the time. It was already determined even before the day we were born. I wonder if this is a good thing or bad thing.

In three days, my dad will be coming home to be surrounded by his wife of forty five years, his four children and his 10 grandchildren. We will laugh, dance to all our family favorite tunes and sit out on the back deck in the red adirondack chairs with the candles lit. You will be able to hear the crickets as the fireflies dance in the night sky.

Tonight, I'm thinking of you Daddy, as I put my own three children down to sleep. It is then that I will climb into my own bed of slumber, say my prayers and praises and drift off to sleep with loving thoughts of the greatest man I've ever known.
Always,
Ed

6 comments:

Beckie said...

Eden, your latest addition to your blog has moved me, to reflect on many things in my own life, and facing my own cancer. We are so deeply sorry your dad and your whole family must go through this. I know you will make the most of the time you have left with your dad and I know you will treasure it. Steve and I will keep all of you in our prayers. Love, Steve and Beckie

the roe family said...

ahhhh!
i cannot think of a more beautiful tribute. enjoy every moment my dear friend.

LL said...

BEAUTIFUL and so touching.
I'm sorry this is something you have to deal with, you certainly seem to be handing it with a positive attitude and view of the bigger picture. Good for you, that's so admirable!
Thinking of you~

ANN LADEMANN said...

EDEN:

So well said, HOWEVER, I am giving you until tomorrow to create the CARING BRIDGE WEBSITE so Tony can hear it from all us how, and you can update it for him!!! Now go girl, get blogging on Caring Bridge. I can see grandpa Tony in your chair in Mooresville, giving us the Look when we ask him what to do witht he crazy Lee Finances....thank god for his financial wisdom it got us through it!!

He knows we all loves him, and he needs his caringbridge so we can tell him everyday directly, now go!!!

LOVE ANN

Anonymous said...

Eden,

We are praying for your family during this difficult time. It has been so many years since we went to church together as kids, but I've always kept warm feelings about your family in my heart. You are in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult journey. Please give your dad and mom are love and best wishes.

God Bless,
Lance Bennett
lbennett@riversidechurchofchrist.org

Kerri said...

Eden,

I found your blog through Malisa's and have popped in now and again. I've enjoyed your thoughts on life. This post is so entirely lovely and heartbreaking all at once. What a tribute to your father, and what a blessing to have had a father like him.

Thank you for sharing your struggles and your faith.

Kerri

Related Posts with Thumbnails