Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Window & The Plate



My plate is full.

I'm closing the window.

These are just a few of the sayings that my dear friend AML and I share. If you say them often enough, you begin to follow the mantras. I have found it difficult to not just say them, but follow through living them out day to day.

Oftentimes as women, we have this "thought" that we must take on so much in order to achieve success or have others see success in us. I fall into this trap, oftentimes it seems like the trap won't let us out of its nasty gashing teeth. My blog friend Malisa, described it recently in one of her posts as "the cliff's edge". I found this to be so relational. Her lovely husband rescued her from the edge. I silently rejoiced alongside her.

I'm still waiting on my rescue squad.

I was sitting outside Sarah's music class chatting with another mother. She asked what activities my boys were in this season. When I said that they weren't participating in anything but school and a Wednesday night bible study, it looked as if all life had left her body. It felt great to say that we were doing "nothing" for a while.

With The Hubby traveling once again, I have made the decision to just slow down. Empower myself to say "no" when asked to help out(a quality that I have been blessed/cursed with). Not because my heart doesn't care to help out when needed, but rather at this time of my life, I have found it necessary to slow down.

I encourage each of you to "close the window" or tell someone lovingly that your "plate is full". Slow down and enjoy the process. Slow down and enjoy the life and the people in it that you love. Maybe sometime soon my window will will be cracked open just a little. I have a feeling it will just be to allow some of the crisp Autumn air come into our home.

4 comments:

Jen L. said...

Eden - what a great post!! I am with you about taking time to do nothing. I have found in the past few weeks since school has started that I just love being home - I do my errands & things, but just can't wait to come home and be. My kids are not involved in anything, either, for a few reasons. $$, not wanting the chaos, they are still young, etc. Too many times, I feel as though people do all those things because they just want to keep up with everyone else. I'm glad to say that I don't feel pressured to be like everyone else! Glad that you are taking some time to slow down - good for you!

ANN LADEMANN said...

EDEN, EDEN, EDEN:

Where do I start...oh that's right I'm closing some more windows...again!!

I get that trait from my mother, I just can't say no, however, as your blog friend says, we end up on the edge of a cliff and need to be rescued. I hope you always know YOUR rescue squad is a text, call or email away. Also, luckily for you, your church friends there are a cup of coffee away too. You are so lucky remember that you have that!!!

I am closing the windows and letting the fall air in at the same time. My mission, is to learn how to make a peach cobbler by the time my dad gets here for him next week for the first time!!

Thanks for being u.
love aml

Jen Guthrie said...

I went for a 4+ mile walk today...me time...I didn't have the time to do this- clothes to wash, church stuff to do, people I should check in on, groceries to buy, blogs to post, phone calls to make, but I did it...and I loved every minute! Balance in all things is my moto...don't judge me -we all are doing the best we can...and to know that is a pathway to peace my friend...PEACE is beautiful :)

Malisa said...

Beautiful header, btw.

Did you know that we aren't doing a lot of things either? We've skipped sports for a while. I want more 'life' time.

Today was the first day home for me in a little while. It was SO nice. I biked to the library and park with my Sarah. I like life at a pace slow enough that you can CHOOSE what to do sometimes.

I love your insightful posts. Wish I could be there to rescue you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails