
I know that being humble is a wonderful thing. I guess it is the "flesh" in each and every one of us that yearns for an "atta girl" every once in a while. I brought this blog post idea up with The Hubby to get his take on it. He admitted while on his most recent trip home from Korea, a young man became ill on the flight. The captain asked if there was a doctor on board who could assist this individual. He admitted that he was tempted to stand up and shout, "I am not a doctor, but I play one on tv." He admitted that he imagined being a doc and saving this dear man's life. He would be considered a hero and he would then receive the applause and adoration of the other passengers...what a story that would be.
Last week a similar event happened to me. I was driving down the highway with Sis Margaret and my mom when I witnessed a beautiful collie run into the path of a semi. I didn't even think twice of immediately pulling over to try and help this dog. As my mom directed traffic, I tried in vain to get a hold of the owner and the vet. A nice gentleman stopped to help me move the dog to the side of the road, and I covered her body up with some towels I had in the trunk. It began to rain and I ended up standing in the pouring rain with a golf umbrella waiting on the dog's owner to get there. The deputy on the scene told me I could go ahead and go, but I didn't feel right about leaving someones pet on the side of the road until they could arrive. The owner finally arrived and was overwhelmed with grief as the deputy and I carried her beloved Lexi to her car. Let me preface this by saying that I am by no means an "animal lover" but I was certain that I was meant to stay with that dog. I didn't receive a thank you or "atta girl", but rather my reward came in that I now have a renewed appreciation for mankind. People were willing to help out in a time of need. One lady just stopped and gave me a hug because she felt so bad that I had witnessed the event. What a sweetheart! While I wouldn't have passed up an opportunity to pose with a dog on the cover of "Dog Fancy" as dog hero of the year, I am just fine knowing that Lexi wasn't alone when she passed away.
I guess my point is that even in our menial tasks that we perform each day, they are being done for a greater good. Why do I do laundry...so that the kids have clean clothes. Why does The Hubby travel so much...to try and make a better life for our children. Why do I spend so much time volunteering to do crafts...so that my children and your children can learn about God in a creative manner.
CEP told me last week that I was as stylish as Venus Williams (????) She must be very chic! JWP told me that I was very unique because I am a mom who shaves her armpits(????) I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried :)My "atta-girls" came from my own kiddos who thought I was pretty special in some very odd ways. I will take all the reaffirmation I can get...I'm human!
I encourage you this week to give an "atta boy/girl" to someone for a task that seems rather ordinary. We have enough "heroes and idols", let's bring it back to what really matters...ones character.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Can I Get A Thank You..An Atta Girl..Something?
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 12:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I will give you an "atta girl" and then some. We just came from Bible study where we talked about doing things out of sincere love even when it is not easy. You are a wonderful example of God's word.
"ATTA GIRL, EDEN!" Way to go on putting up another blog post! Yay for you!
E AND T:
When I first read Pet Fancy, I almost fell off my chair thinking oh my she's off her rocker and broke down and bought those kids a puppy,,,,however, I read on and true to your personality this DOES NOT surprise any of us!! You Zentz are such helpers!
Its a hard thing to watch, you did a wonderful thing, you should be proud! Glad S was there with you to help.
LOVE AML
P.S. What's the Cameron update, what's hot in Saudi??
Thank you for the smiles, the laughter out loud in my house with no-one around as I read your blog, and for being the special person you are in sharing your heart with all of us!! You rock girl :)
:) Denine
once again i sit here with tears in my eyes after reading your blog. you have such a talent for putting words to the truths that we live day in and day out.
atta girl!
i am so glad decided to stick around a bit longer...
Tillie, Rags Dale Rags Two, Penny Girl, Babes, Moses, Mr. Rue,Gabby, Belle, Duke, Ginger Lu Lu and Lexi... all want to thank you! You are their "atta girl"
Post a Comment