Monday, March 9, 2009

Misgivings


I've had a few misgiving lately. Misgivings about life, motherhood, friendship and whatever else my conscience wanted to throw in the mix. Needless to say, that may be why the posts have been slow. Have you ever felt like you were walking a tightrope...balancing the many areas of your life and when one side got a little heavy, you began to tilt that way? I just don't tilt, I fall over. "My plate is full, thank you." "I'm closing that window", I claim. My smart momma taught my those sayings...and I love using them.

Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of our move to Ohio. I cried...ok, maybe I bawled. I had a nice little pity party for myself. Now, don't get me wrong, I have adjusted nicely, much to the amusement of the bathroom scale. I have found such comfort in the empty calories of my large cokes and powdered donuts. I miss the weather..the ever hint and tease of Spring right around the corner. I miss the "newness" of the buildings, the stores, the restaurants. I miss going to Bruester's for a cone in the evening. I miss eating sushi at Joel's and a pie at Brooklyn Boys. I miss going for pedi's with the girls. Most of all, I miss the many people and smiling faces who got me through one of the toughest times of my life. Maybe that is why I still mourn the move. Just knowing that no matter what, a door was open, a ear would listen, a heart would feel.
Today I took Sis Margaret to breakfast with parents at her preschool. I walked in, smile on my face and was met with just stares. I could feel the stares as I walked around the room. One lady was going through her receipts as her little girl played nearby. I saw one was from Dillard's. If she could only see my wallet of receipts. No Dillard's here...only Big Lots and Walmart(the majority of those were returns) It just struck me that people just don't know how to smile or even make small talk. Maybe they are comfortable with who they are. They already have friends and aquaintances. They are not needing to make the effort to get to know anyone else. It was painfully uncomfortable...and I'm even fairly outgoing. I got in the car and called AML right away. She was having a day too and I know she longed to be in NY with old friends. I longed to be back on Cloister Lane. I have made some friends here, mostly thanks to my church, but even there it's as if people already have all they need. Why can't I be content with just being by myself, just absorbing all the love of my children and husband? I know that is not healthy and that's why I continue to try and meet new people without seeming desperate. I don't want to come across as a Debbie Downer but it's been a year..something has to give. After moving five times in ten years, I'm tired...I'm done.
I'm really hoping that the next year I will continue to be blessed with happy and healthy children and a husband who has a job and loves me. In the scheme of things, I'm not that bad of a person to be stuck with as a friend. I guess I can always have a lunch date with a coke and bag of powdered donuts :)

4 comments:

Jen Guthrie said...

Why do you think all I do is check blogs...no one calls...I am new too...and to think a year has gone by for you-I was just thinking of that horrible day when you ripped yourself away from us :) Girl...it must be our age...or at least mine...the enthusiasm to meet new people-the spark of being the new girl-none here either! I keep thinking of "how can I throw myself out there" but the kids keep me more busy then when they were little tots and then the basic knowledge that good friends are blessings and just don't fall out of nowhere-well I guess I'll pray for you and you pray for me that we will see the beauty that was Mooresville, the comforts of a small town find us and that some "blessings" start falling our way! And I miss Olivia...and Clay!!!!!!!

lerschfam said...

Ed,
It takes a long time for a place to feel like home, to meet friends like our old ones, to get the 10 pounds off we put on from moving. I'm still diving into the donuts 3 years later to make myself feel better. I still struggle unable to find friends like Lori & Leigh...only have one truly good friend here. Miss my Sadie-girl for Liv! We still talk how we miss the newness of N.C. (Birkdale, Bruesters, Brooklyn B., Harris Teeter, the early spring)...I guess we move to be closer to family and it puts it all in perspective. Like you..some days I want friends and don't know why no one seems to like me and other days I'm like give me my fam and kids...that's all I need. Maybe one day we'll be neighbors again and we won't need friends, because we'll have each other! Love ya sis!

Malisa said...

Oh Eden. My heart goes out to you. I KNOW about being lonely. I KNOW about wanting friends, but there being something stopping that - even though I've been in the same place for 9 years. Isn't that sad? (I must say that this last year has been MUCH better.)

Sometimes I think about how EXCITING others lives must be when they get to move different places and have different houses. Maybe not? :) I guess discontent can come in many different forms.

I love my family to death, but I do not find all of my fulfillment in them. I need other women to talk to and share with. I think most of us are that way.

(very side note: On of the first things I saw on your blog was a picture of your lovely house. I tell my husband that if we ever do move, I don't want to move to a much more affluent area. I've found that money often changes people's priorities and needs.)

ANN LADEMANN said...

EDEN ZENTZ PERRY:

TODAY WE ARE PUTTING ON OUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND DEALING WITH IT. I AM SO SORRY I PICKED UP MY PHONE AND WAS CRYING AND WAS NOOOOOO HELP TO YOU AS YOU WERE CRYING, BUT WHEN I SAW THE EDEN NUMBER I WAS SO EXCITED, I COULDNT LET IT GO TO VOICEMAIL, BECAUSE TO HEAR THE LITTLE VOICE ON THE END SAY HI MISS ANN I WEAR BIG GIRL PANTS, MAKES ALL THAT OTHER SHIT A BIG WHO CARES, AND THAT'S WHATS GOING TO GET US THROUGH THE DAYS!!!!!!

MY GOD GIVE US STRENGTH TO MAKE IT, THE SUN IS OUT ITS A NEW DAY!! AND LIVE WITH THAT OLD SAYING, OKAY I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN I KNOW I CAN.

YOU KNOW THIS BLOG HELPS SO MANY PEOPLE EVERY DAY WHO LOVE YOU AND NEED YOU, ITS OKAY TO FALL OFF THE TIGHTROPE, AT LEAST YOU FIT ON THE TIGHT ROPE, MAN I'D BREAK THAT TIGHT ROPE, BUT FOR MA AND PA, I'M DOWN 29 LBS., THANKS TO ATKINS, I KNOW CAMERON AND ALLISON ITS NOT A VEGAN DIET, BUT ONE DAY I WILL BE THERE TOO PROMISE!!


LOVE YOU ALL...
AML

Related Posts with Thumbnails