Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Heart Mr.Yuck


I had a flashback to my childhood today. It was a nice flashback...brief, yet memorable & came in the form of a poison control sticker. This was after a horrible attempt of being a "engaged mom". Today I accompanied CEP's kindergarten class to the local market. I pretty much am room mom, financing partner, party planner, substitute teacher, guidance counselor, etc to this class. I guess saying that I put a lot of time and effort into this class would be an understatement. I enjoy it, yet I am almost "guilted" into doing it because no other parents help out. I have discussed it at length with The Hubby and have decided that we are not willing to let CEP miss out on some great activities and adventures that the teacher provides just because other families aren't willing to pull their own weight. I don't mind fully funding these activities, but I do have a problem when I see these same parents buying cigarettes and lottery tix at the corner market.(i'm not judging....really!) I also have a problem when all your child sees and hears at home is crude and vulgar things and then they bring that behavior & language into the classroom and expose all the other children to it. I understand that my kids have and will hear things that they probably shouldn't...that's life, yet when I am sitting in front of your child and he turns to my son and tells him to (insert a highly inappropriate and lewd act here) I do have a problem with parents. A big one. First of all, what five year old even knows that statement and what that term even means. I was livid....and ended up having to file a statement with the office. This same boy has called me names you couldn't imagine, and even tried to bite off my finger at the V-tines party. (it really would have hurt if he had...he has a full "grille" on his lower teeth) I really feel sorry for this child, but I am still angry! So, when CEP came home from school, he handed me the bag of goodies they were given at the market. Included in the bag was a sheet of Mr. Yuck stickers. I haven't seen these stickers since I was little. CEP promptly noted that after the day he had today, he thought this little boy needed a Mr. Yuck sticker on his shirt. I whole heartedly agree...he's only five...I can still pick his friends.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Yikes! I feel so lucky now because I've never had any of my kids classmates use inappropriate language or behavior while I was there (I'm sure they only do it with their teacher or on the playground...).

Beckie said...

Eden, I would give anything to make these kinds of situations easier for Moms like you who truly care. You have a tough road ahead because the world is getting coarser, more accepting of language and so many more things that we who love our children, follow God's teachings and do our best to raise up good, loving and decent children have it tough. Just keep doing what you are doing because you are building a foundation of support and love. Your children know what is right and what is wrong, as CEP said, his friend needs a "Mr. Yuk" sticker. I am also glad you reported this to the office. You need to do what you can to make a positive and appropriate atmosphere for your children when you are not with them 100% of the time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails