Today was Jack's last day of school. After a week of counting down the days, he awoke so excited to have a half day that was filled with Field Day festivities. I have to say that over the past three months, he has done remarkably well adjusting. I told him that I don't think even adults could have handled the stress of a new school, new friends and new surroundings like he did. He looked at me puzzled, and said, "it's no big deal, mom." So Clay, Sarah and I went to the grocery and bought every frozen treat we could find to surprise him. I heard the bus pull up to the cul-de-sac and we all started our song and dance to welcome him home. The door opened and instead of all smiles and laughs, he burst into tears. The sobbing continued and we all stood silent shocked at what had just happened. After consoling, he finally told me that he was so upset because he had to say goodbye to his teacher. Jack has always had a tender soul, but recently I think he came into the idea that he is too old to have "feelingse" like this. I sat the holding him thinking what remarkable compassion and feelings this seven year old has. I haven't given him much of one-on-one lately(sad to admit due to the move) and I think I just thought that he can fend for himself. In that moment, I came to the conclusion that all kids need their parents, and may need them in different ways as their siblings. He opened my eyes so much. Thank you to Mrs. Jiminez who welcomed Jack with open arms(literally) and helped him adjust. He wouldn't be the same without her.
1) My child teaching me a lesson
2) Seeing sadness and compassion coming from a young child
3) M&M ice cream sandwiches!!!
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Last Day of School & Our Song & Dance of Tears
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 11:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
he is learning those beautiful and ever so important attributes from the two that love him most, his mommy and daddy. kuddos to you crazy momma for taking the time and doing your son and this world right!
thanks you roe fam! its not always easy, as you well know. thanks also for the wonderful salad ideas. i can't wait to get busy cooking!!
This is a child who will make a difference...somewhere, someday, sometime.
Post a Comment