I really should have quit after making five cranberry coffee cakes. Yet, I couldn't resist the wonderful cookie tins that I saw at the store today. I wouldn't call myself a cook, a chef, a baker or anything relatively close. I have a small repertoire of meals that repeat themselves quite frequently in our home. The cookie tins....they were calling out to me. "Be brave Eden," they exclaimed. "Be like other moms and bake up a couple of batches of cookies and put them in the adorable tins," they begged. So off to the store we went. Three kiddos in hand, buying ingredients for four different cookie recipes I had found.(baking can get expensive!) Apron on, music playing, kiddos occupied, I measured, melted, greased, floured and thought I was well on my way. That was until I noticed a faint smell of smoke coming from the top oven. I opened the door to be engulfed in smoke... hurry, run, open up the door and windows...let in the -20degree wind. Just then the doorbell rang and there stood my mail-lady packages and letters in hand. She asked if everything was okay as I about broke out in tears telling her how all I wanted to do was fill the pretty tins with cookies. I figured she didn't care. So, I stopped after one bad batch(notice the caramel didn't stay in the pecan rolls(not called pecan surprises for nothing...surprise...they don't turn out.)
I cleaned up the kitchen, feeling very defeated and sat down to open a little package my parents had sent me. In it, I found a wonderful fleur-de-lis cookie cutter(I adore fleur-de-lis and had to giggle if they only knew I had just experienced a cookie disaster). Also in the box was a wonderful little necklace by an artist named, Heidi J. Hale. How wonderful that my moment of defeat could be overtaken by my squeals of delight due to my first birthday gift arriving. Thank you mom & dad...I think I will leave the cookie baking to my sis. btw...if anyone is interested, you may borrow my new cookie cutter to make me some cookies :) 
Monday, December 22, 2008
Cookie Catastrophe
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 12:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
EDEN:
I had my failure today, I have had the best surprise for you to send for your BIRTHDAY FOR THE 23RD to be there on time. So....I Got to PAK Mail [for those of you in Mooresville or having been here you can imagine] to ship it from there because I had to insure it and buy the box [no comments Ma I know I was being irresponsible].
However, got there and they were closed.
So my love, expect your birthday present on the 24th Wed. I wanted you to get it by the 23rd to celebrate your day of birth, HOWEVER, In the Life of Lademanns, know we all Love You, Have been thinking of you, and will be the first at PAK MAIL tomorrow and you WILL have it overnight mail on the 24th.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY EDEN.
WISHING YOU WHAT YOU ARE WISHING FOR.
LOVE ANN
Maybe the cookies didn't turn out, but it sure made for a great blogging story! Were they edible?
BTW, I think Eden is one of the most beautiful names I've heard.
Post a Comment