
I used to consider myself a private person. Yet, somewhere in the midst of the past two years, it is as if my life has become a novel which the world can read, or a movie of sorts for the viewing pleasure of others. I'm not sure how I got to this point in time, but lately it has become a little bizarre. I began my blog over a year and a half ago. At that time, I posted the daily happenings of my life. It then exploded overnight into my soapbox and online journal where I rant & rave, give testimony and try to be uplifting. Now I wonder if I write for myself or my readers.
You then have the little obsession known as Facebook. I joined and have become somewhat addicted to the site. I began to think if I really wanted my high school friends and other random acquaintances to know my every move. Will "so and so" be my friend, or are they just being nice? Why bring that sort of teenage angst into my life again? Do I really care that my high school rival is getting ready to go shopping while I'm stuck at home trying to adhere to my Financial Peace budget?
Which brings me to another privacy issue.
I began Financial Peace last night and I am having anxiety about sharing my wealth(or lack of) and debt with perfect strangers. Do they really need to know how much I spend at Target on junk? Do they really need to know that I have an addiction to Taco Bell and Cokes and put it on the credit card?
I don't even have privacy to take a shower or go to the bathroom without a child in there with me discussing one subject or another. I just revised the "Perry Family Proclamation" which spells out the house rules. I once again emphasized the importance of privacy.
I'm beginning to wonder how this all came to be. I think I have been put in a number of situations or predicaments in the past few years where I have had to lay it all out there, if you will. My life has felt like there was a big stage light shining on it with an eager audience hanging onto every word. I still think I am a private person, although my sisters have said otherwise. Someday soon, I think I will climb back into my little cocoon of anonymity and leave behind this blog, Facebook, and other "unprivate" areas of my life. It may be time to refocus and concentrate on the true attractions of life, rather than the distractions. 
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Privacy....where did you go?
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 9:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
wow. good thoughts. all so true!!!
i thought that the other day...I decided that IF i'm really blogging as a "journal" I should be private. Yet I don't want to.
This post of your really makes me think. thanks!
What a interesting and good post. I have thought about this a lot. I am not an overly private person, but my husband is.
One area I think of that sort of applies is pregnancy/miscarraige. Most of the women I know wait to tell that they are pregnant - in part because of the risk of miscarraige. I have miscarried twice and was glad that everyone around me knew I had been pregnant. They could share in my joy and support me in my sorrow.
Sometimes I think that people make too many judgements without actually knowing that much about others. Knowing more about often makes us more sensitive and understanding. While I definitely believe some things ARE private, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to talk about many things. When I find out things from others, I just feel like it makes me more informed to make my own decisions.
One of the reasons I don't talk about just the happy stuff on my blog is because I don't want people to see a facade. I want people to see that I'm just like anyone else and REAL. We all need each other.
I really like reading what you have to write, but then again I don't know you in "real life" so I don't need to think about how that affects anything.
Facebook, however, is a whole other issue. It is just surface stuff and random people. (Yes, I know our blogs are public and anyone can read them - but those that do invest the time to do so.) If I had to let one or the other go, it'd be facebook for sure.
I, for one, don't want you to stop bloggging, unless that's really what you need to do for you. :)
Oh my. That was long. Sorry.
Good thoughts, you carry a lot on your tray...it's not a plate anymore and maybe you know yourself it's time to make some adjustments. It's that time of the year to let go, clean out. So do it!
E:
One time a very wise woman told me "her plate was full" this was a good statement that she couldn't do anymore. A good realization that she knew!!!!
Maybe its time to, as another wise woman says "Close Some Windows" Pick what you enjoy and close the rest. As Ma says It is a Full Tray with Three Beautiful Receivers!!!! and Givers!! [you too Travis I love you too]
Just my thoughts on this beautiful day in Mooresville.
xoxo
AML
I have been thinking the same thing. I can totally relate to this entire post. I also read an article on CNN this morning about Facebook changing its agreement, so that it now has rights to all of the info and pictures on your profile--even if you delete it. My husband and I are really private with our kids, so the only picture I have on Facebook (or anywhere online for that matter) is of me. Still, I am considering closing my account today. I need to simplify and let the meaningless stuff go. Most of my "friends" are people I haven't seen in 10+ years, anyway.
BTW...thanks for entering my giveaway! :)
Post a Comment