Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Who, Me? The Tale of a Tantrum.


Here it is late Tuesday afternoon. I relented and decided to watch the inauguration before Sis and I left the house to run around. I was going to post about how I am thankful and grateful to former president Bush for his service, how I am hopeful for our new President Obama, how cute the Obama girls looked, how somewhat magical it was to see citizens joining together to be there at that moment in history. How I completely and whole-heatedly support the invocation that was given by Rev. Warren and how I hope America realizes that no "one" person is going to run this country..unless your name is God. That was until.....the temper of a two year old redhead named Sis took me to a place that I have never experienced in my years of motherhood.

Sorry, but it's back to reality here. We ventured out to get a few things to start the headbands and I had one last stop at Target before we headed home. She was in a good mood and asked if we could look at toys. We haven't had a problem doing this before so we headed back to the toy section. The aisle of baby dolls lurked ahead. She ran to them as if angels with trumpets announced her arrival. She began to ask for a baby and then another as I quickly informed her that she had already gotten some new chapstick and she had plenty of babies at home. That's when it began. Now, when I say "began" I mean "BEGAN". It was as if every single wrong that has ever occurred in her 30 months of age had decided to come out in this one moment. You were on bed rest with me and ate dozens of Krispy Kreme. I am the only girl and will never have a sister. I am doomed to live in a gaseous home with three boys. You make me go to a music class with all these other odd children...it could go on and on. The screams were deafening. The body began to flail. The hands began to take swipes at my face. People began to pop out of the aisles to see what all the commotion was about. The stares were sent my way. Some were sympathetic, some were annoyed. "You only have one more year of it." "Can I help you in some way, push the cart for you?" Before I knew it, I was crying due to sheer exhaustion. I could feel the drips of sweat fall from the back of my neck due to the fact my hat and winter coat were still on. The belt from my coat fell off and I picked it up and drug it along as if I was going to give her a whippin'. I couldn't even pick her up...for her little 30 pound body felt as if I was trying to pick up a jelly mold from the church fellowship hall. I never experienced this kind of tantrum with the boys, and was not prepared. I got in the car and called my sis crying. I was spent.
We are back at home now. Sis keeps coming up and announcing her love for me. I have tried to explain to her that her behavior was unacceptable, but just how much does she understand? Have you ever been there with your children?
I think a Coke is in order and maybe a little online retail therapy. In a way, I am grateful to her...she got me out of having to eat my Obama words.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe that you are talking about our precious little Sarah! With all the love and teaching that you give, "this to shall pass".
I still love her....and you too.
Nana

lerschfam said...

She knows she's the princess!! Don't sweat it...you'll look back in a few years and it won't be a big deal. You'll have other deals to really worry about! Just wait till she's 13! I carried Ethan out of stores many times kicking and screaming....it must be the red hair! As mom always said..."Why do you even take them in a store?" She's a very wise woman! This too shall pass.

Love, Ali

ma said...

Amen Al....never take your children to the store with you...go without,do without,swap them out with friends or neighbors, but leave them at home or wait till the hubbby comes home. Shopping at 10:00 pm for food at Kenleys in Noblesville was heaven on wheels - my grocery cart. Peace and quiet - lovin it.

ANN LADEMANN said...

Eden and TRAVIS:

I can't start another paragraph with saying "well this is why if you lived on Cloister she would have been with me and you would have been ALONE shopping??

However, after the day of Barack and his wife and 10 balls, when children in Peru don't have shoes, I'm feeling a pitty party is in order.

Don't get me wrong, I am praying this man will have an affect on our Country and change will be good for ALL of us!!

However, I too am stuck with FOUR girls AND ONE TEENAGE BOY in the house, who are treating me like an ATM Machine!!! Sooooooooo, get the coke, I'm getting my Chik-Fil-A tea, make the headbands!!

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND TODAY IS ANOTHER SUNNY DAY!!!

I LOVE YOU
AML

Cherie said...

I've been there,too. Fortunately, the tantrums have only been on occasion and after I take a short break of taking the kids with me (thus shopping late at night and realizing that I'd rather deal with screaming kids than shopping when all the good stuff has been bought by the shoppers earlier in the day...), I start bringing them again. It's tiring and embarrassing, but I doubt anyone will remember you the next time you go into Target!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails