
My bis sis posted a comment on one of my posts. She said," how about Palin? Who says a feminist has to be defined by any one group or person? Who owns the word "feminist" anyway?" This got me thinking about my four years at a Big Ten university sitting in lecture after lecture to obtain a minor in Women's Studies. Many couldn't understand why this would be of interest to me(much less my major in art history!) I loved each and every one of my classes where we discussed June Cleaver, pornography, feminist politics, and what affect these roles had on women. In these classes I truly began to shape my thoughts and views of what a "feminist" was. I remember one day one of my profs asked a lecture hall of approx 150 women and 3 guys, how many wanted to take on the traditional role of getting married and having babies. I was one of three who bravely lifted their hands. I heard gasps around me as some of the others looked around. I finally understood the point the prof was trying to get across. All women are "feminists". It doesn't matter the role you play in society. It doesn't matter if you work in the corporate world, if you struggle working minimum wage, or if you stay home and try to stay sane as you cart kiddos to and fro. All political rhetoric about who supports who, and the sentiment that one's intelligence has been insulted due to the fact that a woman was chosen to run for VP, need to buck up. Regardless to political views, we should be proud. This paves the way for our daughters, nieces, and future genrations. We are women...that makes you interested in women's issues...if that makes you a "feminist" then so be it. Be proud...women are strong and continue to break "glass ceilings" at work, in the community, and in our homes. So ladies, I applaud all of you..here's to all the strong women I know. Keep up the "feminist" tradition of having your voice heard. It counts!
A strong woman works out every day to keep her body in shape ...
but a woman of strength kneels in prayer to keep her soul in shape...
A strong woman isn't afraid of anything ...
but a woman of strength shows courage in the midst of her fear...
A strong woman won't let anyone get the best of her ...
but a woman of strength gives the best of her to everyone...
A strong woman makes mistakes and avoids the same in the future...
a woman of strength realizes life's mistakes can also be God's blessings and capitalizes on them...
A strong woman walks sure footed ...
but a woman of strength knows God will catch her when she falls...
A strong woman wears the look of confidence on her face ...
but a woman of strength wears grace...
A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey ...
but a woman of strength has faith that it is in the journey that she will become strong...
Monday, September 8, 2008
A Strong Woman vs A Woman of Strength
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 1:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Very,very well said! I think that we are so blessed to be women and to share a very special bond.
Love you,
Barb
thank you. my day looks very different now. (much better!)
bravo my dear...BRAVO!!!
Here's to strong women of faith...does anything else matter...good moms...people who care...and women who realize that we are all here to help each other...you rock Eden...I love your posts...I just whine about kids and mom stuff...you actually make sense! Tell Allison we miss them!
Eden:
You were put on this earth for many reasons!! Not just the 3 that came from you so far!! Because besides being an amazing mom, wife and friend [when we're all losing it] the words that come from you are poetic and wonderful.
Rock on in those Gucci Boots you Chose!!
I love you, I'll be in Indy soon.
aml
Post a Comment