Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Soap-Box. Complain...complain!


Do I complain too much? I questioned myself after writing an email to a local family owned business whose advertising was less than tasteful. When I was little, I would become terribly embarrassed every time I would go through the drive-thru with my mom and she ordered her Tab with "extra ice". Who asks for extra ice? I could feel myself sinking deeper and deeper in the vinyl seat of our station wagon as we pulled around to see if they had correctly fulfilled her request. As much as this made me cringe, the older I get I find myself expecting more from people. If you are in a certain field, in a certain service sector, or promoting yourself to a certain target audience, I believe you should live, breathe and bleed that field. Last year I rattled off an email to a large gas station chain who had very graphic advertising in their bathrooms. I have also been know to call the "tell us how we're doing" numbers to give my opinion(not just for the coupon). The doozy came just last week when I called and emailed a local family farm who operates a pumpkin patch and corn maze. The plans were made to visit this farm and have a wonderful weekend with my sis and her family. That was until Trav and I saw billboards all around town advertising their haunted maze. The billboard showed the (excuse me) crotch of a boy who had obviously peed his pants. The words said, "Screaming isn't the only thing you will do". Seriously, is this type of advertising truly necessary? I found it to be crude, tasteless and just plain stupid. If you are a family friendly business, I believe that all things having to do with your business should be too. When I called to complain, the young girl just chuckled on the other end. Trust me, I am far from being a prude, but it just wasn't appropriate. I then sent an email to the farms owner, addressing these concerns. I have yet to get a response, but that's ok. I let my voice be heard. While you don't have to go to the extremes that I have to give your opinion, try it if you see or hear something that you like or dislike. By the way, I now order my Coke with "extra ice"...much to the chagrin of the three kids in the backseat!

1 comments:

ANN LADEMANN said...

Chick Fil-A's prices in Mooresville's prices have dropped since you moved because their expenses have dropped in ice costs!!

You keep ordering just the way you want to honey. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!! Rock on Grandma Sandy!!
aml

Related Posts with Thumbnails