Time is the treasure of life. Time IS life.
Time is the willing sacrifice that you offer up to the worship of what you love.
Don't tell me what you love.
Tell me where you spend your TIME and I will tell YOU what you love.
-Martha Kilpatrick Adoration
I recently joined a new Bible study at church. It is a study on a wonderful book by Linda Dillow called, Satisfy My Thirsty Soul. I have struggled the past few weeks to get though the reading and lessons. I honestly have struggled with the fact that I haven't been able to find time in my day to devote to any sort of devotion or quiet time. I got to chapter three and instead of flying through the reading, I took time to read each and every word. I read it again and again. The chapter spoke to me in such a way, I felt like it was written specifically for me. I then began to list the names of friends and family members whose lives also apply to the lessons I learned in this chapter. Author Linda Dillow writes, "In this age of constant stimulus, clamor is pervasive and comes from many sources. I am tired, but not from physical labor. My tiredness comes form the frantic pace of life around me. Yours likely does too. As I look at my friends and at myself, I fear we are becoming nervous, anxious, and overactive people who don't know how to be still. We rarely give our full attention to anyone or anything. We're always thinking ahead to the next thing that must be done, the next person we must talk to and check off our list. We do the same with God. We hurry our "Quiet Time", which is anything but quiet. Our bodies sit still, but our minds race. Ready to get on with our day, we hope our moment with God gains his approval." Was she spying on me with the eldest son's spy toy gadget, I thought? This is my current state of mind.
Author Henri Nouwen writes,"Our lives often seem like an over-packed suitcase bursting at the seams. In fact, we are almost always aware of being behind schedule. There is a nagging sense that there are unfinished tasks, unfulfilled promises, unrealized proposals. There is always something else that we should have remembered, said or done."
I ask all of you just like I did myself, where do stand in your quest to find quiet time? Has your soul found stillness? Take a minute and really think about it and be honest with yourself...and then do something about it.
God is waiting.
Monday, October 6, 2008
My Soul Finds Stillness
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 5:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Whoa Eden, this was a deep one, coming from me who is usually in a total full spin, I took time to read every word and feel much better!!!
Thanks...
I needed it. So did Shelly I
forwarded it onto her.
love aml
i am spinning out of control and can't find the exit....Eden, where do i find this book?
This really hit home..especially after a day like today..ya know it is actually one of those weeks.
It's ok,,it is weeks that this that make us appreciate the really good ones... knuckle down,,dig deep and remember the things that are important...
If you think about it there is only one pair of eyes on us at all times..those are the only eyes that really matter and they are unconditional...sweet isn't it!
Shelly
Dear KP, Try Amazon or your local Christian bookstore. They all weren't swept away by Ike, were they? Stop the spin...slow down! XOXO
I think I need to read this as well. Right now I'm muddling through a weight loss study...trying to remember where to find my strength when all I want to do is eat everything in sight...sigh
Post a Comment