Friday, October 3, 2008

What's In A Name?


I love names! It's as simple as that. It is one of the many odd and quirky fast facts about me. I love when people have babies...happy the baby is well, but what did they name it. I usually favor traditional names, ones that do not require a lesson in phonetics to decipher. When we were checking out of the hospital after having Clay, the woman asked us if we named him after the American Idol contestant, Clay Aiken. Are you kidding me?(although without any makeup on, I am a dead ringer for his identical twin).
I grew up with a fairly different name, Eden Powell Zentz. When I was born, the church we attended said with a name like mine, I would grow up to be the first female president. Little did they know that I am indeed the first female president of this house. My name was to be Holly(thank you dad for nixing it, especially since my b-day is two days before Christmas). Oftentimes in school, my name would be called over the loud speaker. It sounded like "Eatin' Zits". This didn't do much for my self esteem during those awkward preteen years. When I was fresh out of college, I went for a job interview at an ad agency. The company president called me into his office and the first thing he did was ask me if my parents were hippies. I told him that they were not, but rather conservative Republicans from the Midwest. I didn't go back to that office. When I worked at HSN, people would call in on air to talk to me and ask for "Mr. Eden Perry". I have been a boy, a foreigner, a town in Minnesota(Eden Prairie). You name it, people have called me it. Last week, our insurance guy called me Edna. Edna, Edie, Edith, Eben...I just go along with it. The receptionist at the doctor this week asked if Mr. Perry needed any prescription refills, I kindly told her that I was Mr. Perry and I am actually a girl. The church goin' folk love it..."as in the garden", I reply repeatedly.
I have grown to love my name, but I often wonder what it would be like to have a name that is traditional or rather normal. I come to the same conclusion every time, it wouldn't suite me, for I am neither traditional or normal. I'm just Eden!

5 comments:

The Sundbergs said...

That's pretty funny. My maiden last name is Overturf, so I had LOTS of interesting names growing up. Use your imagination. My GREATEST fear as a child was marrying someone with the last name of Beach.

ANN LADEMANN said...

No empathy here, this comes from me whose Maiden name was
Ann Margot Tlasek, go through elementary school with that name
NOBODY in New York could get that last name, I was so happy to get married to Roger Lademann
However, everyone kept asking me
Did you Laid A Man??? Not funny...

love ANN LADEMANN
AML

ourgrowingfamily said...

saw the pic of the sweatshirt and thought maybe it was a christmas present for trav!!!

ourgrowingfamily said...

and oh yeah, Brent has an uncle with the last name of "Glasscock". Talk about awful!!!!

Olivia said...

I've always loved your name and NEVER once heard Eatin' Zits on the loudspeaker! I also hated my first name growing up because I was the only one. I've loved it for a long time, but now when I'm at the store and 8 moms yell for Olivia or Livvy I turn around. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails