
I love advertising! Good advertising, that is. Besides the awful corn maze billboards that are scattered throughout our town, there are multiple ones that say, "Stop Mannequenism". There isn't anything else written on it, except for this slogan and a web address. Day after day I would pass by this billboard and wonder what it meant. A couple of weeks ago, the hubby asked me if I had seen it. That prompted me to look it up. After I weaved my way through a list of possible websites(some of which set off the spam blockers..very naughty) I found what mannequism was all about. It's a public service campaign to get people involved in a cause. Mannequenism is caused by political(not necessarily Obama & McCain)inactivity where people suffer from hardening of the skin and joints until they become nothing but a hollow shell. It is a disease of the mind that ultimately affects the persons whole being and community. All a person has to do to be cured of mannuquenism, is to get involved in a cause or issue that they care about.
Many of you are involved with such causes. My mom's cause is Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and ALS. My friend Sarah R. just got back from DC in support of her cause, fighting breast cancer. My friend AML received an award from the NC Dept. of Mental Health for her efforts to help those with mental illness. My friend QECF works for veterans affairs(her hubby is a navy surgeon).
I got the serving bug early on. I finally got to put it to use thanks in part to Bill Clinton(those who know me know this is the only time I would say anything nice about Mr. Bill). He is responsible for establishing a group called AmeriCorps. It is a domestic Peace Corps, and I was privileged to serve during college. I was assigned to the state of Indiana and my responsibility included teaching migrant farm workers about HIV and AIDS prevention. They are very susceptible to contracting this disease and need assistance in learning ways to prevent it. Along with my sweet Spanish translator Nancy, I would demonstrate how to put condoms on a penis prototype(sorry, mom). I had a bag of tricks(supplies)that I took to all the farms. One rainy morning, I was involved in a car accident on my way to work. It was a fairly bad accident with both cars being totalled. Imagine the look on the emergency responders faces when they approached to find wood penis prototypes, colorful condoms, and other paraphernalia strewn all about the highway. The job paid for college, and I truly believe I made a difference.
My new chapter of service is going to involve food and old people(two of my fave things :) I am going to volunteer to deliver meals to shut-ins throughout the Toledo area. I write this post in hope that you will find your one "cause". You don't have to save the world, but just getting involved on a small level can begin to make a difference. The United Way just began a wonderful new service campaign, and there are hundreds of charitable organizations where your talents can be shared. So, before your bones and joints begin to hurt, and your mind gets a little fuzzy, go out and do something. Fight mannequenism before it begins. 
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Stop Mannequenism!
Posted by Bountiful Blessings at 6:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I never looked at it like that ....just knew we were so blest, so this Fall season brings us to our hospital's Coats of Caring - free coat distribution and winterization of people's home for United Way. Take the kids on as many of your service trips as possible. Remember.. we've not been there!
I know a lot about you but never that you taught non english speaking workers how to put on condoms.
And by the way- lest you forget about your two friends down here Alyssa and Kelli who will have very tired feet come the 25th and 26th of October as we walk 40 miles for breast cancer!!
Post a Comment